[Samba] How to move a samba PDC to a diffrent box

ml ml at bortal.de
Tue Jun 3 08:42:40 GMT 2008

Hello List,

i have got a samba pdc running based on the smbldap tools and Debian Sarge.
Now we would like to move everything over to Ubuntu Hardy.

Can i simply:
- Create the same users and groups with the same id on Hardy
- Move the files and profiles over by keeping their permissions (rsync
-avzp ...)
- Set the samba SID to be the old orginial one (i do not know how this
could be done and if it even works)

Will i then simply be able to log back in with my Windows clients?
Is there a HowTo explaining this scenario?

Thanks,
Mario