[Samba] Setting (exposing) FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE for a share

Damir Dezeljin dev at dezo.org
Thu Jul 31 09:25:09 GMT 2008

Hi all,

Back in 2002 I opened a discussion on the samba-technical mailing list
regarding the WinNT FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE (
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2002-April/020969.html).

Meanwhile some FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE handling was implemented in the
'trunk' Samba. Currently (Samba 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.4) provides the 'dmapi
support' option for representing the mentioned attribute. Unfortunately it
seems the option is supported only on XFS using the libdm0. Additionally it
seems only SUSE / SLES ships with the mentioned support built into Samba.

Well ... I'm again interested in the mentioned option and I'm wondering if
there is a way to say 'add the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE flag' for all files in
the specified share.
Of course it would be even better if I could implement a utility / dmapi
interface / or something else Samba could use to figure out which files I
would like to mark as offline on the HSM file system I'm using or any other
kernel / FUSE / ... file system.

I know it is not a big deal changing the Samba code; however, I would really
like avoiding building a custom Samba package for every machine our HSM
product is running on.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Damir Dezeljin

PS: Let me know if you think it would be better to re-post the question on
samba-technical.