[Samba] samba 3.2 breaks ppp winbind plugin

Pim Zandbergen P.Zandbergen at macroscoop.nl
Wed Jul 30 16:55:15 GMT 2008

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 18:13 +0200, Pim Zandbergen wrote:
>
>> We have a system running fedora 8 using pptpd from the poptop yum
>> repository.
>> See http://www.poptop.org/
>>
>> pptpd/pppd use the winbind plugin from the ppp package to authenticate
>> to Active Directory.
>> This works just fine.
>>
>> Then I found the same setup would not work on a fedora 9 setup.
>>

> So, this is winbind from Samba 3 (Fedora 8) failing to work with a Samba
> 3.2 PDC from Fedora 9?

No, this is Samba 3.2 (Fedora 9) failing to work with a Windows 2003
Server PDC,
where Samba 3.0 (Fedora 8) works fine.
>> What's happening when things don't work is that the XP client
>> comes with this error, after a successful authentication:
>>
>> "Error 778: It was not possible to verify the identity of the server"
>> Wireshark shows that the XP client is terminating the connection
>> immediately after a successful CHAP handshake.
>>

> This almost certainly means the session key returned from the PDC to the
> member server (where winbind and radius are) and calculated into the
> MSCHAPv2 response is incorrect/missing/etc.
>
> Look for it being missing first - check with strace/gdb/etc in pppd to
> see what broke about the interaction with ntlm_auth.

I ran ntlm_auth by hand on both systems in manual mode. Both work fine.
But pppd calls ntlm_auth using a special protocol, made for pppd.
I will probably have to capture this interaction and see the differences.

It would help if I would understand what else is in the MSCHAPv2 response
other than "the authentication was successful", because it always is, and
why the Windows client still is not satisfied.

Pim