[Samba] weird Windows profile creation

Robert M. Martel - CSU r.martel at csuohio.edu
Wed Jul 30 13:59:44 GMT 2008

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Christopher Perry
> <cperry at hmdc.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> It seems weird. On 75% of my machines, it creates accounts as:
>> c:\documents and settings\username
>>
>> on 25% of the machines, it creates them as:
>> c:\docments and settings\username.DOMAINNAME
>>
>> These are fresh machines, so it's unclear to me where this behavior stems
>> from. We're not using roaming profiles.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea as to why this happens?

When I had a Samba PDC in use with roaming profiles we had the clients
set to delete the roaming profiles at logoff.  Naturally MS Windows
didn't always delete the locally cached copy of the roaming profile in
spite of being told to do so.  On subsequent logins the roaming profile
would be copied to c:\documents and settings\username.DOMAINNAME - which
would break some applications (Thunderbird, Firefox) that expected their
settings to be under c:\documents and settings\username.

Wasn't a Samba issue in our case b/c it was the client machine's failure
to delete the local coy of the roaming profile that was the source of
the issue.

-Bob

Bob Martel,System Administrator  I met someone who looks a lot like you
Levin College of Urban Affairs   She does the things you do
Cleveland State University       But she is an IBM
(216) 687-2214
r.martel at csuohio.edu                                -Jeff Lynne