[Samba] Must re-join to domain after server reboot

Vladimir Shiray vshiray at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 10:07:13 GMT 2008

Hi

We have Windows 2003 AD Domain Controller and a linux servers which join
in NT4-style domain.
idmap is configured to use LDAP (openldap on a linux server).

After we run:
   smbpasswd -W
   net join rpc -S server -U administrator
   /usr/sbin/smbd -D
   /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
   /usr/sbin/winbindd -D

"wbinfo -u"  and "wbinfo -g" get a list users and groups from a domain.

if we restart all Samba processes on a server it stay working also.

But when we reboot a server it stop working and produce error in
winbindd log:
    Could not receive trustdoms

So we must re-join the domain manually and restart Samba processes.

What can be a problem ?

We tried 3.0.30 and 3.2.0 on Slackware-12.0 with the same result.
With unknown reason 3.0.31 was not able to join our domain at all.

We used the same config file for all versions and made clean up
before checking every version:
    remove  /etc/smaba/private/secrets.tdb
    remove all files from /var/cache/samba
    remove the server name from AD on the domain controller

Vladimir Shiray