[Samba] Re: Learning Samba

David Collins db.collins at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 29 22:42:24 GMT 2008

Vinod,

I am also learning Samba and setting up a simple PDC.

So far, I have the smb.conf file below.  This has been tested against a
Windows XP SP2 PC, and I have tried Samba 3.0 and 3.2.

I suggest you DON'T have a 'valid users ..' or 'invalid users ..' line -
just give EVERYONE access until you have the system working, at least.

The following are working -
PC can join the domain
Domain user can logon to the PC
A profile is created for the PC user where specified (you might need to
create the folder and set permissions)
The H: drive is mapped in the PC session

The following doesn't work -
can do almost nothing with usrmgr.exe
can do almost nothing with srvmgr.exe
cannot install a print driver on the server in the Windows XP PC session
('Unable to install .... drivers.  Access denied')

smb.conf:
[global]
	workgroup = DOMAINNAME
	netbios name = LINUXPC
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	idmap uid = 15000-20000
	idmap gid = 15000-20000
	os level = 35
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	domain master = Yes
	domain logons = Yes
	passdb backend = tdbsam
	wins support = true
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	pam password change = Yes

	# Printing ..
	load printers = yes
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups

	# Script definitions ..
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /var/lib/nobody
%u
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
	delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
	add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
	delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
	add user to group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -A %u %g
	delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -R %u %g
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*
\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

	# User defaults ..
	logon drive = H:
	logon home = \\%L\%U
	logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U