[Samba] Re: SAMBA / CUPS

Konrad Azzopardi konrad.azzopardi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 16:18:26 GMT 2008

Dear all,

I am new to CUPS. I found an installation of CUPS with SAMBA that we
will deploy soon but there are a couple of problems I need to solve
beforehand and your help would be really appreciated.

I have RedHat 5.1 installation with the following :

CUPS 1.3.7 and SAMBA 3.0.25b

My smb.conf relevant details looks like this :

[global]

## GLOBAL SETTINGS
      netbios name = TASSIN
      server string = Samba Print Server
      workgroup = DOM NAME
      security = domain
      encrypt passwords = yes
      password server = P  Z

## WINBIND SETTINGS
      idmap uid = 10000-20000
      idmap gid = 10000-20000
      winbind separator = /

## LOG SETTINGS
      log level = 2
      log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
      max log size = 1000

## NETWORK SETTINGS
      wins server = X , Y
      name resolve order = hosts wins
      interfaces = Z
      smb ports = 139
      hosts allow = 10. 127. 172. 193. 192.
      include = /etc/samba/jessie.conf
      include = /etc/samba/janey.conf

## DOMAIN SETTINGS
      domain master = no
      local master = no
      preferred master = no
      os level = 0

## PRINTER SETTINGS
      load printers = yes
      printing = cups
      printcap name = cups
      cups options = raw

[printers]
      comment = All printers
      path = /var/spool/samba
      browseable = no
      public = yes
      guest ok = yes
      writable = yes
      printable = yes
      use client driver = no
      printer admin = filled in properly

[print$]
      comment = Printer drivers
      path = /var/lib/samba/printers
      browseable = yes
      guest ok = no
      read only = yes
      write list = filled in properly
      create mask = 0664
      directory mask = 0775

We use windows clients and I am trying to set all printers in duplex
mode. My problem is that I do it with a correct domain user but the
setting sometimes is kept and sometimes is lost after sometime. Can
someone tell me where these settings are stored ?

Many thanks
Konrad