[Samba] Mutli-Homed Subnetting - Advice please

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Mon Jul 28 19:24:46 GMT 2008

how congested is your network?  is the gigabit card on the server near
100% utilization, or also are your network switches near 100% bandwidth
utilization, or both?  are you using roaming profiles?  i'd try to
offload some of the network load by re-directing my documents to their
home directory so that roaming profiles doesn't have to copy that data
at login/logoff.  if your switches are already congested, I don't think
a 2nd nic will help much.  if you had some money you could buy more
switches.  I like how the cisco switches handle VLANs well to break up
networks.

use unison for the mirroring of the folders, google for it.  its like a
2-way rsync.

i can send you some old emails from the list i saved with various
helpful samba login scripting if you want me to forward you copies of them.