[Samba] v3.2.0 and MS-DOS: Directories must be upper-case??

Daniel Johnson Progman2000 at usa.net
Fri Jul 25 13:33:43 GMT 2008

I have an MS-DOS client (Win98SE boot disk) connecting to a Samba v3.2.0
server which is a member of an AD domain (WinNT 5.0/2000 DCs).  If it
tries to create a file in a directory, it will fail if the path is not
all-upper-case.  For instance:  J:\Bk-Full\DJohnson\S1565\  will fail but
J:\BK-FULL\DJOHNSON\S1565\ will succeed.

When it 'fails' the desired file IS created, but contains nothing (0
bytes) and the DOS computer returns an error.  If I try the simple command
  ver > test.txt
the message will be "File creation error."  Attempts to delete the file
from DOS give "Sharing violation reading device CON; Abort, Retry, Ignore,
Fail".

Directory creation/deletion works regardless of path-case.  I have tried
setting 'case sensitive = no' just as a guess, it didn't help.

Below I've pasted most of my smb.conf (global + the share in question).
Note that the DOS client actually logs in on the domain, and is given
access in smb.conf and filesystem ACLs as "DOMAIN+BackMeUp" (obviously not
case-sensitive).

Daniel Johnson
Progman2000 at usa.net

=   =   =   =   =   =   =

[global]
   log level = 4
   workgroup = DOMAIN
   realm = DOMAIN.EXAMPLE.COM
   netbios name = Harbor
   ;netbios aliases =
   server string = Harbor
   security = ads
   hosts allow = 192.168. 172.21. 127.
   load printers = yes
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap
;   printcap name = lpstat
;   printing = cups
;  guest account = pcguest
   log file = /var/log/samba/s.%m
   max log size = 100
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>
;   realm = MY_REALM
;   passdb backend = tdbsam
;   include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%m
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24
;   local master = no
;   os level = 33
   domain master = no
   preferred master = yes