[Samba] samba group rights problem (Domain Admins not working)

Stefan Dengscherz stefan.dengscherz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 06:27:35 GMT 2008

Hello Jeroen,

I just had the same problem you described. The cause of it was, that
the LDAP configuration on my new os (Ubuntu 8.04) included an option
to ignore the root user from LDAP:

nss_initgroups_ignoreusers
backup,bin,daemon,dhcp,games,gnats,irc,klog,libuuid,list,lp,mail,man,mysql,news,openldap,proxy,sshd,statd,sync,sys,syslog,uucp,www-data

in /etc/ldap.conf. I can't remember if it was the stock config file or
if I added it following some howto. However the root user on the
server side was not a member of the 'Domain Admins' group because the
data came from /etc/passwd. I removed root from the ignore list and it
worked.

Just check on your PDC, if the root user is really a member of the
'Domain Admins' group with 'id root' - if not - there's your problem.

Kind regards,

-sd