[Samba] Different "printer preference dialog" between windows and samba

LiuYan 刘研 lovetide at 21cn.com
Wed Jul 23 15:44:21 GMT 2008

----------------------------
OS: CentOS 5.2
Samba: Samba 3.0.28-1.el5_2.1
Printer: HP LaserJet P2105n
----------------------------
I setup a linux print server for windows clients.

First I downloaded the printer drivers for windows from HP website (both the
Universal Printer Driver PCL6 and the PCL6 driver for P2105 series), and
installed them on my windows client, then it created a local printer on my
windows client.

Then I installed the printer drivers to samba/linux via my windows client.
then I connected to the remote printer on samba/linux.

When I open the "printer preference dialog" of the local printer and remote
one, I found that they are different. The dialog of remote printer on samba
lost some tabs and options, such as it has no "print shortcut", and so i
can't tweak the "pages per paper" parameter. (see the screenshot attachment)

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18583819/HPLaserJetP2105SeriesPCL6-printer-preference.png

So, why they are different? How to make them same? Should I re-create the
ntprinters.tdb database?

Thanks!