[Samba] samba3, kerberos, ldap

Jeff Anderson jefferya at programmerq.net
Mon Jul 21 19:16:44 GMT 2008

Hello,

I have an existing kerberos+openldap setup. We use samba3 as an NT4 PDC.

I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate the need for storing the MD4
hashes in ldap (sambaNTPassword field)

I've found several posts with this question, but I haven't found a guide
for the type of setup I'm looking for.

I've read I can get windows clients to use an MIT or heimdal KDC with
the MIT Kerberos for Windows client.

I've read that one can get samba3 working with an MIT or heimdal KDC.

I haven't found an indication that this combination would work in
practice. Are there any guides or success stories?

I'm posting this question mostly to find out if I'm barking up the wrong
tree. If I'm better off waiting for samba4 than trying to get this hack
job to work, let me know now.

Thanks!

Jeff Anderson