[Samba] "the specified network name no longer exists"

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Mon Jul 21 02:19:58 GMT 2008

At 12:05 PM 7/21/2008 +1000, you wrote:
>hi all
>
>i'm experiencing some really funny behavior on our samba server (CentOS5,
>Samba Version 3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4)
>from time to time, our xp/2000 users (our workstations are xp/2000 based)
>are reporting that while they try to copy a file from one location of the
>file server to another, they are presented with the the error....
>
>"the specified network name no longer exists"
>
>if they "retry" the copy succeeds.

I used to see this all the time-- still do sometimes. Was made slightly
better for me by adding to smb.conf this line:
smbports = 139

This makes it not try to use port 445. Without this, it tries both more or
less simultaneously, then uses whichever one answers first.

If you are having similar symptoms to mine, attempts to copy a large file
will cause it to write a zero-length file then bark at you about the
network connection no longer existing. Retry the same operation within a
few minutes, and overwrite the zero-length file, and all is well, even if
you are copying dozens or hundreds of files.

I'm stuck with Samba 3.0.9-2.5 at the moment.

-T

-----
798. [Conflict] If we cannot end our differences at least we can make the
world
safe for diversity. --John F. Kennedy
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531