[Samba] WINS name resolution doesn't work

kissg mail.gery at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 21:18:22 GMT 2008

Thanks for your answer. I played with my network (I can do it, because it is
only for testing and learning purposes) and found the followings:

My Windows client do use the WINS server specified, it seems, the only
problem is, that my PDC somehow forgets to register itself in WINS. Look
what I get if I try to join the client to my domain (the client is on a
different subnet as Samba is listening on):

07/19 22:51:41 NetpDoDomainJoin
07/19 22:51:41 NetpMachineValidToJoin: 'WINXP-CLIENT'
07/19 22:51:41 NetpGetLsaPrimaryDomain: status: 0x0
07/19 22:51:41 NetpMachineValidToJoin: status: 0x0
07/19 22:51:41 NetpJoinDomain
07/19 22:51:41     Machine: WINXP-CLIENT
07/19 22:51:41     Domain: universe
07/19 22:51:41     MachineAccountOU: (NULL)
07/19 22:51:41     Account: universe\rendszergazda
07/19 22:51:41     OS Version: 5.1
07/19 22:51:41     Build number: 2600
07/19 22:51:41     ServicePack: Szervizcsomag 2
07/19 22:51:41 NetpValidateName: checking to see if 'universe' is valid as
type 3 name
07/19 22:51:42 NetpCheckDomainNameIsValid [ Exists ] for 'universe' returned
0x0
07/19 22:51:42 NetpValidateName: name 'universe' is valid for type 3
07/19 22:51:42 NetpDsGetDcName: trying to find DC in domain 'universe',
flags: 0x1020
07/19 22:51:49 NetpDsGetDcName: found DC '\\LEMONTREE' in the specified
domain
07/19 22:51:49 NetUseAdd to \\LEMONTREE\IPC$ returned 53
07/19 22:51:49 NetpJoinDomain: status of connecting to dc '\\LEMONTREE':
0x35
07/19 22:51:49 NetpDoDomainJoin: status: 0x35

So, according to this, the WINS server of Samba works okay (the client found
the domain), but it cannot resolve the name of my PDC for some reason. So
this must be a server-side problem. Am I right?

I'm going to check the logfiles on my PDC thoroughly and tell you what I
found.