[Samba] Samba 3.2 on FreeBSD

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Fri Jul 18 18:54:17 GMT 2008

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:06:11AM -0500, sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
> wrote:
>> I uninstalled my 3.0.30 port and then downloaded the samba-latest.tar.gz
>> file and installed it so that I was starting out with 3.2.0.  After
>> installing, I cannot find the smb.conf file anywhere other than in the
>> examples.
>>
>> Where do I need to place this file?  Does it need to go in
>> /usr/local/etc?
>>  I know that on my linux boxes it always placed it in /etc/samba.  I
>> would
>> have thought that it would have placed it where it needed to on FreeBSD
>> also, but I guess I was wrong.
>
> That depends upon how you installed it. If you did a simple
> ./configure; make; make install
> Samba would expect its configuration file under
> /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

Ok, that is how I installed it, but the other answer from Terry was:

"Yes in /usr/local/etc/smb.conf"

The config file was in neither.  Most of the directories were in the
'usr/local/samba' and there was nothing in the '/usr/local/etc' as far as
samba goes.

I would have thought that it would have put a smb.conf in one of the
directories or at least an example in one.  I just want to make sure that
I get it in the correct place.

Thanks.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?