[Samba] Slow Samba writes over NFS

Thu Jul 17 17:15:45 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 09:47:19AM -0500, ashis.v.purbhoo at exxonmobil.com wrote:

> Hello...
>
> Currently in the process of upgrading Samba v2.0.10 to Samba v3.0.x, while
> conducting some minimal testing, it turns-out that Samba v3.0.x is
> performing slower than Samba v2.0.10.
>
> Set-ups:
> A. Samba v3.0.x -->
> Same PC client is accessing the samba share running on Red Hat 4.5 (64bit,
> HP DL380) which in turn has an NFS mount coming from another SAN attached
> Red Hat 4.5 (64bit, HP DL380).
>
> B. Samba v2.0.x -->
> Same PC client is accessing the samba share running on Red Hat 4.5 (32bit,
> Dell T7400) which in turn has an NFS mount coming from another SAN attached
> Red Hat 4.5 (64bit, HP DL380).
>
> C. Samba v2.0.x -->
> Same PC client is accessing the samba share running on Solaris8 (Sun V240)
> which in turn has an NFS mount coming from another SAN attached Solaris8
> (Sun V240).
>
> Trails:
> I've tested both Samba versions using the same smb.conf files and have also
> tested with all global defaults (except those required).  Played around
> with Socket Options & Max Xmit sizes but no luck, it's still slower.  This
> doesn't sound accurate, shouldn't the Samba v3.0.x be faster than Samba
> v2.0.10?  What config options/settings should I be looking at?

None. Very likely it is the utimes(2) calls that we have to
do on each write for correctness. Can you verify that with
sniffs? I will have to dig it up, but there is a module
somewhere that gets rid of those, sacrificing a bit of
compatibility.

BTW, exporting an NFS imported directory is a REALLY, REALLY
bad idea. Why don't you just install Samba on the NFS
server?

Volker