[Samba] Slow Samba writes over NFS

ashis.v.purbhoo at exxonmobil.com ashis.v.purbhoo at exxonmobil.com
Thu Jul 17 14:47:19 GMT 2008

Hello...

Currently in the process of upgrading Samba v2.0.10 to Samba v3.0.x, while
conducting some minimal testing, it turns-out that Samba v3.0.x is
performing slower than Samba v2.0.10.

Set-ups:
A. Samba v3.0.x -->
Same PC client is accessing the samba share running on Red Hat 4.5 (64bit,
HP DL380) which in turn has an NFS mount coming from another SAN attached
Red Hat 4.5 (64bit, HP DL380).

B. Samba v2.0.x -->
Same PC client is accessing the samba share running on Red Hat 4.5 (32bit,
Dell T7400) which in turn has an NFS mount coming from another SAN attached
Red Hat 4.5 (64bit, HP DL380).

C. Samba v2.0.x -->
Same PC client is accessing the samba share running on Solaris8 (Sun V240)
which in turn has an NFS mount coming from another SAN attached Solaris8
(Sun V240).

Trails:
I've tested both Samba versions using the same smb.conf files and have also
tested with all global defaults (except those required).  Played around
with Socket Options & Max Xmit sizes but no luck, it's still slower.  This
doesn't sound accurate, shouldn't the Samba v3.0.x be faster than Samba
v2.0.10?  What config options/settings should I be looking at?

Regards,
Ashis