[Samba] my first samba set-up gives me a headache

Thomas Vito shoktai at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 13:05:11 GMT 2008

Hi everyone,

I am setting up a samba server in Win2003 domain. My goal is to be able to
connect to shares from a redhat server to win2003 servers and do the same
the other way around.

I have followed some tutorials, been through the official how-to and still
my setup has something wrong that i cannot understand.
I would like to use the windows accounts in my Active Directory to do the
authentication. Which security/authentication should i go for.
I have tried without success to use ADS.

Here is my smb.conf file:
[global]

   workgroup = ACME
   password server = *
   realm = EU.ACME.COM
   security = domain
   idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   winbind separator = +
   template shell = /bin/false
   winbind use default domain = false
   winbind offline logon = false
   server string = AMSDEV-DV09
   netbios name = AMSDEV-DV09
   encrypt passwords = yes
   wins server = 10.130.12.120
   winbind separator = +
   winbinduid = 10000-20000
   winbindgid = 10000-20000
   winbindenum users = yes
   winbindenum groups = yes

[Share]
    path = /home/acme/
    comment = Shared folder
    browseable = yes
     writable = yes

I also have added in the nsswitch.conf file the winbind auth method for
users and groups.

Some guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.