[Samba] Samba authentication to AD server

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 16 20:19:17 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:59:36PM -0400, Gman wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I currently have a task to put together a SAMBA (3.2) server that can
> authenticate users to our local AD server. I was told recently that in
> order for that to happen, the authentication needs to be in "mixed"
> mode vice "native" (whatever that means), or it won't work. Can
> someone a bit more knowledgable than I confirm or deny this statement,
> or point me at documents that explain the difference? Thanks in
> advance.

If the Samba server is merely a member of the AD domain,
then no, you don't need to have the AD domain in mixed
mode. It will work just fine with native mode.

If the Samba server is a PDC and you need it to have
trusts with the AD domain, then yes, the AD domain must
be in mixed mode.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy.