[Samba] Help making Samba a DFS host (not root!)

Brian H. Nelson bnelson at cis.ysu.edu
Wed Jul 16 18:33:57 GMT 2008

I'm trying to create a DFS root in my 2003 AD domain, and point it to a
share hosted on a Samba server. From the documentation, I had assumed
that this was supported (msdfs host = yes ?). Am I missing something
basic? This is with Samba 3.0.31 on RHEL 5.

When I go to create the DFS root (via the msc plugin) and instruct it to
use my samba machine as the host, I get this error:

"The computer you entered cannot host the DFS root. You must enter the
name of a computer running an operating system in the Windows 2000
Server or Windows Server 2003 families."

Just to be clear, I'm NOT trying to make Samba a DFS root, just a host
(ie target) for a DFS root in my AD domain. Is Samba only capable of
hosting a samba-based DFS root, and not an AD based one? Is there some
trick to getting it configured?

Thanks!
-Brian