[Samba] xp/2003 explorer freezes browsing shares on Samba 3.2 ipv6
P.Zandbergen at macroscoop.nl
Tue Jul 15 20:39:21 GMT 2008
After upgrading one of our servers from Fedora 7 to Fedora 9,
from Samba 3.0 to 3.2.0-2.17.fc9 I noticed this strange phenomena:
Windows 2003 and XP clients freeze when you type
"\\server" in an explorer address bar where "server" is the
name of the Samba 3.2 host.
Windows 2000 clients don't freeze.
2003/XP clients don't freeze when you enter "\\server\share"
They un-freeze if you restart samba, showing all the shares.
Refreshing freezes them again.
Here are some details on our network
- all samba 3.0 and 3.2 hosts are ipv6 capable
- some Windows clients are ipv6 capable
- DNS hostnames resolve to both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses
- NetBIOS over TCP is disabled, nmbd not running
- all samba servers are ADS clients in a 2003 domain
Here are some findings:
- it does not matter whether clients are ipv6 capable or not
- removing AAAA records for samba hosts does not help
- re-enabling NetBIOS over TCP does not help
- disabling ipv6 on the samba host does fix the problem
Disabling ipv6 on the host was not easy. I had to
prevent the ipv6 module from being loaded.
Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
More information about the samba