[Samba] Windows XP Files Disapearing

kissg mail.gery at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 06:18:29 GMT 2008

Try to replace the last three lines (map archive/system/hidden) with a
single line like this:

store dos attributes = Yes

This will ensure, that file attributes get correctly set by using extended
attributes (see the smb.conf manual for more details). I think, it's a lot
better way for storing Windows/DOS attributes, than using UNIX permission
bits. The most important thing to note is that you have to mount the shared
filesystem with the 'user_xattr' mount option.
That way, I could manage to copy the Default User folder to the netlogon
share including proper file attributes (like the system and hidden
attributes for desktop.ini files).

Your share definition is fully wrong, I think. Using "read only = Yes" and
"writable = Yes" have a probably unwanted behavior - it's because these
settings are equal (again, read the smb.conf man page, it's a very useful
reading for configuring Samba).

Regards
Gergely Kiss

When I mount a drive via Windows XP and copy a file via Samba, the file