[Samba] DC outage

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Fri Jul 11 08:40:22 GMT 2008

Hi Urs,

you can also set something like "password server = dc1 dc2 *"
to specify preferred domain controllers, but keep failover
autodetection enabled. But when the join with "password server = *"
does not work, this indicates that you have a problem with
autodetection generally.

In order for dc detection to work with security = ads, you
need to have (among other things) a proper dns configuration
so that your kdc and domain controller can be found via dns
queries for srv records. Optimally, (one of your) domain
controller(s) is the dns name server.

If problems persist, could you post your smb.conf here?

Cheers - Michael