[Samba] Win2000 SP4 + Vmware 3.5: unable to brownse shares on Samba fileserver

Michał Bilski michal.bilski at solphy.com
Thu Jul 10 13:54:28 GMT 2008

Hello!

I have a Windows 2000 SP4 (polish version) machine on VMware 3.5 and a
Samba 3.0.28a fileserver on linux box (kerenl 2.6.24.2). Both are
members of Active Directory.
When I try to map a samba share, I get a message like this (may differ
from exact english message as I translated it from polish): "This folder
has been moved or deleted" or "unexpected network error has occured
59" (the later when using command line "net use x: \\FILESERV\SHARE").

Both machines see each other (I'm able to ping each other by domain
names), in logs I can see that user gets authenticated properly, from
windows machine side I can list all shares, but I'm unable to open any
(the above message shows up). All other Windows hosts on the network are
able to brownse the samba fileserver without any problem and on the
other hand the Win2000 virtual machine can access shares on other
machines on the network. The user I'm logged in is a member of domain
admins group.

Here is the smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = <...>
        passdb backend = smbpasswd
        security = ads
        encrypt passwords = yes
        private dir = /etc/samba/private
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
        syslog = 3
        syslog only = yes
        log level = 3
        lock directory = /var/lock
        pid directory = /var/run
        os level = 65
        announce version = 5.2
        announce as = NT Server
        preferred master = no
        wins support = yes
        local master = no
        winbind separator = +
        disable spoolss = yes
        smb ports = 139 445
        max xmit = 65535
        realm = <...>
        server string = Serwer Plikow
        password server = 10.140.0.8
        idmap uid = 10000-50000
        idmap gid = 10000-50000
        inherit acls = yes
        inherit owner = yes
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        template homedir = /ftp
        template shell = /bin/false
        unix charset = UTF-8
        host msdfs = yes
        msdfs root = yes
        map system = no
        map readonly = yes
        map archive = yes
        map hidden = no
        interfaces = 10.140.0.17
        bind interfaces only = yes
        winbind use default domain = no
        ldap admin dn =
        ldap suffix =
        ldap user suffix =
        ldap group suffix =
        ldap ssl =

all shares have th same definition (except for paths;), eg. :

[BCOS]
        path = /mnt/FILESERV/FILESERV/Group/BCOS
        comment =
        inherit permissions = yes
        security mask = 0777
        force security mode = 0
        directory security mask = 0777
        force directory security mode = 0
        create mask = 755
        read only = no
        veto files = /.AppleDB/.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network
Trash Folder/:2eDS_Store/.Trash*/
        admin users = @"<...>+domain admins" @"builtin+administrators"
@"<...>+Administratorzy domeny"

In logs I can't see anything indicating an error. However I managed to
capture transmission betweene stations - there a few repeating parts
that look strange - but I'm not good at decrypting it... I can mail it
if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Michal