[Samba] Common MS Office and samba file share issue

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 00:25:16 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Kevin Bedford <kevin at sepit.com.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are many posts on many lists about this issue but no definitive
> answers.
>
> For me the issue came up with a new server running CentOS 5 + samba 3.0.35c
> + openldap.
>
> The recent postings I've seen always seem to have either RHEL 5 or CentOS 5
> in common with the provided 2.6.18 kernel.
>
> The issue is .doc or .xls files saving and then producing an error about not
> being able to open the file for writing.  Then it claims the file is locked
> by the user who just saved the file.  It even occurs in users own home
> directories where no one else could have opened the file
>
> I've tried disabling kernel locks, oplocks, level2 oplocks, create mode
> =0660 and
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192
> SO_SNDBUF=8192

Disable any socket options on 2.6 kernels as the os handles this better.

> All of which have been listed somewhere as fixes but do not help.  I've been
> searching for a solution for nearly two months now.
>
> Can someone please tell me what it is????

The problem is instead of saving a file excel and word create new
files with a temp name then delete the old file then rename the new
file to the same name as the old. When this rename takes place the
windows filesystems apply the permissions of the old file to the new
file. The problem is linux filesystems do not do this weird behavior
so with samba you have to force it using the force create mode param
and force directory mode param.

John