[Samba] Slackware 12.1 + Samba 3.0.28a + a lot of users (Slightly OT)

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 13:51:04 GMT 2008

[...]
> If you don't want LDAP you have to use the "smbpasswd" way.
>
> (and LDAP leads to other problems ...)
>

>> Also, the same users have their home directories shared via AFP
>> (which works fine) and I can't complicate the setup with an
>> additional smbpasswd file.
>>

> How and where does AFP manage the authentification for Windows clients?
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

Yeah, FWIW, I just setup LDAP on Slackware-12.0, and it's a bear to
build it from source.
Depending on what libraries you require, of course.  I took the "kitchen
sink" approach and I think I ended up chasing about a dozen libraries
for dependencies.  My only advice if you decide to go this route is to
use Slackware's makepkg utility as you compile sources and keep all the
packages in subversion or some other form of revision control.  Also,
the default Samba add machine script needs to be modified slightly, IIRC.

That being said, it's very doable if you have patience and a Starbucks
near by.  Also, a hard copy of John Terpstra and Jelmer Vernooij's "The
Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide" as well as Jerry Carter's
"LDAP System Administration" are worth their weight in gold for such an
undertaking.