[Samba] Slackware 12.1 + Samba 3.0.28a + a lot of users

Krzysztof Pawlak krzys18 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 07:03:18 GMT 2008

G'day Samba Users!

I'm trying to use Samba on a Linux server which has a lot of Unix
users: I have Slackware 12.1 and Samba 3.0.28a. My users are defined
in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow which is typical for Slackware.

I have one directory shared between everybody called Xchange:

[Xchange]
   comment = Xchange
   path = /raid/Xchange
   read only = no
   public = yes

The above works fine.

Now, I'm trying to convince Samba to let Win XP users to connect to
their home directories for example /raid/Users/user000001,
/raid/Users/user000002 etc. I have a lot of users (Slackware Unix
users in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow) so defining them with "smbpasswd
-a userNNNNNN" is impossible. Well, maybe it is possible but...
considering the number of users it would take too much time.

Also, the same users have their home directories shared via AFP (which
works fine) and I can't complicate the setup with an additional
smbpasswd file.

I tried numerous configurations but so far I can't find a solution to
the following - is there a way to convince SAMBA to use /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow in order to grant user access to their home
directories?

For example I tried the following (which is not good):

[Homes]
   path = /raid/Users/%U
   public = no
   read only = no
   valid users = %U
   printable = no
   browsable = yes

Users should be able to read and write to their home directories. They
can't read from other users home directories.

Looking forward to your help.

Cheers
Krzys