[Samba] Samba v2.2.12 NTLM versions?

PhilH philswork at the-horders.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 08:54:02 GMT 2008

Hi,

I am working on an old Unix system, UNIX SVR4 MP-RAS, running a Teradata database.
Due to the age of the system (notably the C compiler, which won't handle v3 source code), I have built Samba 2.2.12

I want to use this to share Unix directories out to XP clients as network drives, for read-write access, keeping the file ownership as strict unix users.

This all works fine, except for one thing; the passwords sent from XP don't get cleared by the password routines.  Currently I have hacked the code to allow any password, and mitigated this by restricting the share to specific users & specific IP addresses.  The file shares work perfectly apart from this, so I know the password matching bit is the only thing that's not working.

>From reading samba pages, there appears to be several different LAN manager type encryptions.
1. The original Windows LAN Manager
2. NT LAN Manager (NTLMv1)
3. NTLMv2

>From looking at the password code, I think Samba v2 supports options 1 & 2, but not NTLMv2.  Is this correct?

What does XP send?  Is it NTLMv2?

Where can I find a chunk of code that I can add into the smbd password library to get this to work for me?

Or is there an easier way?  I'm an experienced programmer, but don't have much networking knowledge - should I be trying to use some sort of link to our Active Directory server (does winbind do this?)

Smb.conf listed here:

[global]
  workgroup = EDW
  netbios name = EDWDEV
  lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks

  # Edit this file to assing mappings between Windows & Unix users.
  username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/usermap.txt

  #  XP uses encrypted passwords by default.  let's set this up.
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
  preserve case = yes

[DEV]
  Comment = Dev software directory
  guest ok = no
  read only = no
  path = /home1/DEP
  create mode = 0775

  # restrict to listed users.  no-one else can connect.
  valid users = laiptc2, laiptc3, laiptc5, laiptc6, laiptc7

  # restrict to listed PCs.
  hosts allow = 25.167.169.200, 25.167.167.174, 25.167.167.193, 25.167.172.207, 25.167.169.178, 25.167.170.9

Phil Horder
Teradata Developer