[Samba] samba + slave OpenLdap (read-only)

jakjr joao.alfredo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:05:07 GMT 2008

I looked at samba code and I found this:

        while (another_ldap_try(ldap_state, &rc, &attempts, endtime))
        {
                rc = ldap_modify_s(ldap_state->ldap_struct, utf8_dn, attrs);
                if (rc != LDAP_SUCCESS)
                {
                        char *ld_error = NULL;
                        int ld_errno;

                        ldap_get_option(ldap_state->ldap_struct,
                                        LDAP_OPT_ERROR_NUMBER, &ld_errno);

                        ldap_get_option(ldap_state->ldap_struct,
                                        LDAP_OPT_ERROR_STRING, &ld_error);

                        DEBUG(10, ("Failed to modify dn: %s, error: %d (%s)
"
                                   "(%s)\n", dn, ld_errno,
                                   ldap_err2string(rc),
                                   ld_error ? ld_error : "unknown"));
                        SAFE_FREE(ld_error);

                        if (ld_errno == LDAP_SERVER_DOWN)
                        {
                                ldap_unbind(ldap_state->ldap_struct);
                                ldap_state->ldap_struct = NULL;
                        }
                }
        }

Samba does NOT follow the referral return by openldap server. At least in
this situation (join machines).

Samba only will try another server, if the first one is DOWN.

In my option, it should try another server if any error occur during any
ldap operation.

So many thanks.

João Alfredo