[Samba] [3.2.0] Off by one error

James Kosin james_kosin at cox.net
Wed Jul 2 22:46:50 GMT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Allison" <jra at samba.org>
Newsgroups: linux.samba
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Samba] [3.2.0] Off by one error

>> I'd need some pointers, I'm not all that familiar with gdb, and there is
>> no way to stop on the error.  NMDB still runs after displaying this; so,
>> I don't think a back-trace will help find it when I kill the process.
>
> What you can do is attach to the running process with :
>
> gdb /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd
> b lib/util_str.c:safe_strcpy_fn:709
> attach <pid>
> continue
>
> Then when the breakpoint triggers you can type :
>
> bt
>
> to get the backtrace, and also go up the stack
> and type out the local variables.
>
> If it happens every time you start nmbd then
> that's easier, just type :
>
> gdb --args /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd -i
> b lib/util_str.c:safe_strcpy_fn:709
> run
>
> Thanks !
>
> Jeremy

I'll have to get back to you later on the backtrace gdb is broken on my
machine.
It is 100% reproducable by including an interfaces line with the IP and mask
as the parameter.  And only happens on startup when nmbd is loading the
configuration.  If I change the interfaces line to read just the single IP
without the mask all is fine.
I'll check to see if this was a change to how the interface line is
specified or a problem that has always been there.  And wasn't caught until
safe-copy was used.

    interfaces    192.168.100.20/24
breaks the nmdb with an error; but doesn't stop nmdb.
    interfaces    192.168.100.20
works and no error is reported.

James Kosin