[Samba] Samba 3.2.0 - OS/2 divorced from connectivity

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 2 19:59:20 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 03:54:03PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> I'm on irc://freenode/samba-os2 24/7. Steve never shows there. Günter is
> there when his machine isn't shut down. Only one other person ever shows
> there on a regular basis, and few others ever visit.

As you note below, Steve is very busy. Doesn't mean he doesn't care :-).

> When Günter asks for help I give it. He knows what's going on, I don't. The
> way I understand it, if I understand it, from talks with Günter, Steve is
> just too busy to spend time on this very complicated stuff nearly always, and
> Günter gets frustrated from endless waiting for Steve to find the necessary
> round tuits that would permit or produce meaningful progress by syncing
> Steve's working tree with the public tree that Günter depends on. Progress
> has been made, but not yet enough for people to use CIFS to replace SMBFS. In
> sum, this seems to me virtually entirely dependent on Steve for progress to
> continue and a usable state to reach release.

Log the bugs (or re-open them). Submit the log files/capture traces,
listing output that we need. There are several active maintainers of
cifsfs, Steve is not the only one. I've done fixes myself when
properly motivated.

You need to drive this process - drive the bugs. Don't just
let them go silent and ignored. If it matters to you, do it.
Hanging out on an irc channel isn't going to help. The squeaky
wheel gets the grease - bugzilla is where you need to squeak :-).

Jeremy.