[Samba] Storing homes and profiles on a filer

Nicolas GRENECHE nicolas.greneche at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:57:42 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I would like to set the following configuration :
- A Samba / LDAP PDC (name : rivest).
- A NFS / Samba filer (name : brahms).

Brahms is a member of my domain.

I would like to store my windows profiles in brahms (into [profile] share).

Here is brahms setup :

[global]

workgroup               = MAPMO
security                = domain
netbios name            = brahms
server string           = Filer

config file             = /etc/samba/smb.conf
encrypt passwords       = yes
lanman auth             = no
log level               = 10

encrypt passwords       = yes
password server         = rivest

[homes]
comment                 = Home de %U
path                    = /home/prof/%U
read only               = no
valid users             = %U
browseable              = no

[profile]
comment                 = Profiles
path                    = /home/profiles
read only               = no
inherit permissions     = yes
create mask             = 0600
directory mask          = 0700

Directories related are created.
Logged with a username on a WinXP box allow to create files in each shares.

My PDC got the following settings for logon directives :

logon path              = \\brahms\profile\%U\%a
logon home              = \\brahms\homes
logon drive             = J:

Homes work well, but WinXP Box can't store roaming profiles ...

Last point : when I move profile share to rivest it works ! (juste
change rivest to brahms on logon path, cut and paste [profile] share
from brahms to rivest and create appropriate directories on rivest).

Thanks for your help,

Nico