[Samba] Linux update knobbles Samba

David Outteridge dajo at frii.com
Wed Jul 2 02:37:31 GMT 2008

Hello People,

I do hope that this is not a really old problem that everyone is
totally sick of hearing; it is a pain in the neck problem for me right
now.  I am just a Samba user.  Help will be much appreciated 8-)

I have been using Mandriva 2007 Linux and have installed Mandriva 2008; Samba
has stopped working as described below.  What is wrong?

* The hardware is a local LAN controlled by an Actiontec DSL gateway
The computers on the LAN are LinuxServer (192.168.0.3) and XPHomeClient
(192.168.0.99)

* XPHomeClient has not been altered from its Mandriva 2007 configuration
except that the IP address, 192.168.0.3, of LinuxServer has been put into
WINS.  This enables me to refer to LinuxServer by name on XPHomeClient.

* Samba on LinuxServer appears to be running well, as described below.
However, it appears that either samba or the OS is badly configured.

** testparm is error-free and shows the shares expected

** Commands smbclient -L LinuxServer and smbclient -L XPHomeClient both show the
shares expected.  smbclient -L XPHomeClient does not show a workgroup.

** nmblookup -M CommonWorkgroup
gets a positve response from XPHomeClient and the workgroup is found.  This
appears to be correct, CommonWorkgroup is MSHOME.

** Commands smbclient LinuxServer/alistedshare and smbclient XPHomeClient/alistedshare
both allow access to the referent shares, and put, get, and rm all work.  In
other words, I can transfer files to and from XPHomeClient from LinuxServer.

* Now it goes wrong.
First, I cannot access LinuxServer from XPHomeClient

** net view \\LinuxServer produces the message
System error 53 has occurred.  The network path was not found.  So I cannot
access LinuxServer from XPHomeClient at all.

** Second, double-clicking on the Samba Browser button in Konqueror
does not do anything; this would bring up information under Mandriva 2007.  So
I cannot access LinuxServer from the Konqueror browser running on LinuxServer.
Do I need to suppress the password request that I get with smbclient?  How do
I do that?

* Other Things

** log.nmbd is showing a set of errors
typified by the those below.  These appear to be coming from nmbd every ten
minutes, rather than directly from anything that I do.  I established this by
tailing log.nmbd.

[2008/07/01 12:51:08, 0] nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(172)
  process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received for name XPHomeClient<20> from IP 192.168.0.99 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2008/07/01 12:51:08, 0] nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(173)
  Error - should be sent to WINS server
[2008/07/01 12:51:08, 0] nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(172)
  process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received for name XPHomeClient<00> from IP 192.168.0.99 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2008/07/01 12:51:08, 0] nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(173)
  Error - should be sent to WINS server
[2008/07/01 12:51:08, 0] nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(172)
  process_name_refresh_request: unicast name registration request received for name MSHOME<00> from IP 192.168.0.99 on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
[2008/07/01 12:51:08, 0] nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_refresh_request(173)
  Error - should be sent to WINS server

** Using configuration options
wins support = yes --- does not do anything that I can detect.

wins server = 192.168.0.99 --- does not do anything to the displayed output
that I can detect; however, it slows down the response enormously - from
instant to several seconds.

** /etc/hosts
contains LinuxServer and XPHomeClient

** /etc/hosts.allow
putting the IP address of XPHomeClient in this file does not do anything that
I can detect.  net view \\LinuxServer does not work either way.