[Samba] tilde username

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jul 1 16:15:03 GMT 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Urs Golla wrote:

> Hi
>
> the problem is, if one of the developers does a "cd ~username<TAB>"
> winbind hangs for ALL users and needs to be restartet. I think I will
> disable the user/group enumeration in smb.conf.

You're not wrong that it sucks.  There's a lack of threading someone in the
deal.  While you should expect this to be slow (although with a better
defined interface, you could turn it into a reasonable search, rather than
simply return all users), you shouldn't expect it to turn your machine into an
unusable lump until it completes.

I'd disable enumeration on anything but the smallest domain, and I'd do the
same with nss_ldap (which suffers just the same).

jh

--
"The average PhD thesis is nothing but a transference of bones from one
  graveyard to another."                              -- J Frank Dobie