[Samba] tilde username

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jul 1 14:51:13 GMT 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Urs Golla wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use winbind with ADS security for authentication. If I write "ls -la
> ~username" in bash or ksh and press TAB or escape to resolve the
> HOMEDIR the shell hangs until I cancel with Ctrl+C. After that I have
> to restart winbind!
> If I press enter after "ls -la ~username" it works. I use
> samba3-winbind-3.0.28-35 on RHEL4U6 (32bit). Any idea?

Speaking from experience with a large AD.  What did you expect?  If you're tab
completing a username, then because of limitation in the POSIX interface,
you've just asked AD to return you information on all users.  That's not a
quick operation.  If I were you, I'd disable this enumeration as you *really*
don't need it.

winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes

jh

--
"A little knowledge that /acts/ is worth infinitely more than much knowledge
  that is idle."                                      -- Kahil Gibran