[Samba] per share encrytion

Wörz, Michael Michael.Woerz at knv.de
Wed Jan 9 08:33:36 GMT 2008

Hello all,

i'm consulting this list bcs i found nothing on the web.

I' looking for a software that acts as a fileserver, but encrypts all files transparently for the user
on share level. So secret documents can be protected against unauthorized access even from administrators
(exept the admin controling user access of course) but can be easily accessed from authorized groups.

I thing this would be easy to implement in Samba and may is planned or already done.

furthermore samba could act as a tranparent proxy that just en/decrypts file contents  depending on their source/destination share and forwards
requests to another fileserver using smb protocol. Such a dedicated machine could be stored behind the switch
of the boss office and would provide quiet good security.

do you know of any implementaions or implementation plans regarding this topic.
i Know theire are a few comercial implementations

Viele Grüße
Michael Wörz
KNV Stuttgart
-(4)2393-

<hr noshade width="200" size="1" align="left">
Koch, Neff & Volckmar GmbH, Schockenriedstra&szlig;e 37, 70565 Stuttgart, Internet: <a href=http://www.knv.de>http://www.knv.de</a>, Amtsgericht und Sitz Stuttgart HRB 11907, Gesch&auml;ftsf&uuml;hrer: Frank Thurmann, Oliver Voerster, USt.-Id-Nr. DE147816562.