[Samba] Samba - Win XP authentication failure

dfodor fo_dani at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 08:48:22 GMT 2008

Hi,

I would like to configure Samba as file server for an XP client.
PC used as server uses Ubuntu 7.10.
Samba version: 3.0.26a-1ubuntu2.

My smb.conf:
[global]
netbios name = szerver
server string =
workgroup = WORKGROUP
announce version = 5.0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
passdb backend = tdbsam
security = user
null passwords = true
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
syslog = 1
syslog only = yes

[fajlok]
path = /home/dani/fajlok
browseable = yes
read only = no
guest ok = no
create mask = 0755
directory mask = 0755

I created the smbpasswd file:
cat /etc/passwd|mksmbpasswd > /etc/samba/smbpasswd

then created the password for dani:
smbpasswd -a dani

and added dani to smbusers file with vi. Its content:
dani = "network username"

I can mount /home/dani/fajlok on my Debian machine but XP fails. I want to
mount, my user name and password is asked, I type it and then they are asked
again. If I use Total Commander it says I have no permission to use the
Workgroup resources. I also tried security=share but it has no effect.

Is there something I do wrong??

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Thank you

Daniel