[Samba] SAMBA mount problem

Dave Livingston dliving at cpinternet.com
Sat Jan 26 16:33:56 GMT 2008

I am running into a strange SAMBA problem that I am hoping someone else
can shed some light on.
My server is running CENTOS 4.5 with SAMBA installed and operating
correctly. I can share a volume on the server and connect via a Windows
XP workstaion, and share a volume on the Windows XP workstation and
mount it to the Linux server..no problems.

I have a device (a bill counter) at a client site  that I must connect
to and collect data files for processing. I was told that it was a
Windows server, so I assumed that there should not be a problem. When
the client had the device delivered and installed, I then go to look at
the system and found that it acutally was not Windows but the old MS-DOS
TCP-IP, similar to Windows for Workgroups.

The bill counter has a share set up, and I am able to connect to it from
a Windows workstation with no problem..no password required. However, I
am unable to connect from the Linux server to the bill counter. I've
tried all types of incantations, but to no avail, I continue to get a
RAP143 error, a search of which did not lead me anywhere useful.

Is there anyone out that that can give me some ideas on what to try. I
am afraid that the operating system of the counter is the problem, ie
MS-DOS TCP/IP but the fact that the client can connect a windows
workstation to it has made it difficult.

thanks in advance..

dave