[Samba] Secondary groups and Posix ACL

Derek Harkness dharknes at umd.umich.edu
Thu Jan 31 13:08:28 GMT 2008

I've got a very odd situation occurring.  I recently upgraded to Samba
2.0.26a and now secondary group membership doesn't work.

On the filesystem I have this layout

/derek
/derek/Folder 1
/derek/Folder 2

derek has these ACLs
# file: derek
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other:r-x

Folder 1 has these ACLs
# file: Folder 1
# owner: root
# group: g1
user::rwx
group:rwx
other: ---
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:g1:rwx
default:mask:rwx
default:other:---

Folder 2 has these ACLs
# file: Folder 2
# owner: root
# group: g2
user::rwx
group:rwx
other: ---
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:g2:rwx
default:mask:rwx
default:other:---

Here is the share block from the smb.conf
[derek]
	comment = Posix ACL test
	path = /derek
	guest ok = no
	browseable = no
	writeable = yes

Now my user testuser1's primary group is g1 and testuser1 is also a
member of g2.  From the shell testuser1 can access both directories
and all is good.  Through samba testuser1 get an access denied or
network path not found when accessing Folder 2.  If I add g1 to the
acl on Folder 2 then samba will let testuser1 in.  Am I missing
something?

Derek