[Samba] samba cluster on multi tiered storage / hierarchial storage management

Francis Galiegue fg at one2team.com
Thu Jan 31 12:13:54 GMT 2008

Le jeudi 31 janvier 2008, Volker Lendecke a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:00:08PM +0100, Olivier Sessink wrote:
> > Some of the data is used frequently, and some of the data is not used
> > frequently. A policy driven hierarchial storage management solution for
> > the samba ctdb cluster would be great. Keeping often-used blocks on a
> > SAN with fast storage, and using cheaper storage for data that hasn't
> > been used recently.
> >
> > What are good solutions in combination with samba, or should we look at
> > something completely different ?
>
> You might seriously look at GPFS. It has really extensive
> data management capabilities, and te ctdb development is
> mainly done on GPFS these days.

You can go the "hardware" route too. Compellent, for instance, has aging
policies which do what you want. Samba doesn't even need to be aware of data
ageing with such hardware.

Francis Galiegue, One2team - fg at one2team.com
[ATTENTION : CHANGEMENT DE COORDONNÉES !]
+33178945552, +33683877875, http://www.one2team.com
40 avenue Raymond Poincaré - 75116 PARIS