[Samba] smaba + ldap + privilages

Net Warrior netwarrior863 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:29:21 GMT 2008

Hi.

If I understand well, you mean a user logged to a windows wortstation, be
able to do some stuff than a basic users, ifthat's your question the answer
is yes, you can achieve that by , when adding a user, specify which group
he/she will belong.
I do not know which sitro you are using, but samba has nice command line
tools to do so that come with the samba-doc, or samba-tools package, do not
know which distro or tools youl'll be using to admin your PDC, but you can
do that, I user webmin or phpldapadmin.

Then you mention to do that with the normal user permissions, I guess you
are referring to the common chmod+chown commands, thst's not possible as far
as I know, BUT, you can set up and refine permissions using the file system
ACL to allow/disallow acces to some folders for example, but most of it can
be done from the samba configuration file, wher you can play how a group or
a user can access a share.

Hope this helps.
CU