[Samba] Re: Samba still asking password

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 14:13:35 GMT 2008

"Marcelo Bossoni" <mmbossoni at gmail.com> wrote in >message
>news:4b4a43ee0801281612r127ff831ga28c87530288d77a at mail.gmail.com...
>Hi All,
>I need some help.
>I installed Samba 3.0.26a from Ubuntu Gutsy repository >under kubuntu, and
>make a share with share permissions (LAN), but he >always asks for a
password

>Can you guys have any idea about what is wrong. I am >going crazy with
this.

Share control does not mean that a password is not required.  I have used
user security and share security with Samba in a Windows workgroup.

With user security, the prompt appears for the username and password when
someone tries to access the Samba server in network neighborhood.

With share security, the prompt appears for the username and password when
someone tries to access a share on the Samba server in network neighborhood.

In the first case, security is set on the machine.  In the second case,
security is set on the share.

In general, a user cannot access a Linux machine unless he has an account on
it.  He has access to specific folders when the administrator of the machine
gives him access to those folders.

Samba runs as a service on the Linux machine.  Each user must have a Samba
account to access the Linux machine through Samba.  Each Samba account is
mapped to a Linux user account.

Security on the Samba account is set by setting security on the Linux
account to which it has been mapped.

To access a share on the Linux/Samba box, do the following:

Create a Linux user account on the machine.  Set a password for it.

Create a Samba account on the machine with the same username.

Give the Linux user security access to the folder to which the Samba share
is mapped.

The only way to avoid the prompt for the username and password is to create
a username and password on the Samba machine that is the same as the
username and password on the Windows machine from which you accessing the
Samba machine.