[Samba] Weird reproduceable delta after power failure - PDC

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:57:19 GMT 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 11:16 AM, ml at bortal.de <ml at bortal.de> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> i am using Ubuntu Server 6.06 with the smbldap installer script from
> majen.net/smbldap/
> I am using VMWare to run my test systems (Ubuntu server and Windows
> Domain Clients)
>
> After producing a power supply failure (stopping my Ubuntu and windows
> client by the stop button in vmware) and starting them up again i can
> see a delta in my ldap database:
>

> Before Power failure:
> ----------------------
> uidNumber: 10000
> sambaSID: S-1-5-21-2308582080-1758763575-3976210704-21000
> sambaPwdCanChange: 1201212116
> sambaNTPassword: C880093E1682DA079892FF7FF2AEA911
> sambaPwdLastSet: 1201212116
>
> After Power failure:
> ----------------------
> uidNumber: 10005
> sambaSID: S-1-5-21-2308582080-1758763575-3976210704-21010
> sambaPwdCanChange: 1201260229
> sambaNTPassword: 2446CE7E7D8B196756E40E80B5EC3A13
> sambaPwdLastSet: 1201260229
>

> I did not manually change those properties and i wonder who or why they
> changed.
>
> The result is that my windows client can not log into the domain
> anymore. I have to remove it fro the domain and add it again.
>
> Has anyone an idea why this is _automatically_ happening?
> Do you need more infos?
>
> Thanks, Mario
>
> --

What file system (journaled?), were you using RAID, and was the VMWare disk
zeroed out before you used it?  It could be silent data corruption (although
I doubt it), a bug in VMWare, or any number of other nasty things that
happen when power is pulled with an unflushed buffer.  The extra layer of
complexity that a hypervisor adds to the mix is potentially substantial,
IMHO.  If the file system is journaled, can you get your boot log and see if
any of the transactions were replayed on fsck during boot?

Sorry for the dupe, I forgot to CC the mailing list!

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.

"Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong"
-Dennis Miller