[Samba] mount read/write ntfs via samba

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Tue Jan 29 00:42:42 GMT 2008

Michael Heydon wrote:
> mashtin.bakir at gmail.com wrote:
>> ... Now we'd like to go the other way
>> ie mount
>> on the linux side our PC files. Using
>>
>> mount -t smbfs -username=administrator //pc-server/users /PCuser
>>
>> works but all files appear to be owned by root so users can't  write to
>> their own files.

> Assuming that you have matching UID's across the servers (infact even
> if you don't) you should use CIFS. With CIFS you will be able to make
> use of the unix extensions so files will have the same owner and
> permissions on the client as they do on the server (this is where the
> matching UIDs comes in). SMB is pretty much depreciated so even if you
> can't or won't use the unix extensions, you should still use CIFS.
>
> *Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
> michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>

Sorry, I might try that again since I just realised it is a Windows
server you are talking about mounting. You should still use CIFS, but
you won't get the unix extensions.

I believe you have to mount a share rather than a directory inside a
share (//pc-server/user as opposed to //pc-server/user/smith).

I think there is a PAM module you can use to auto mount things at logon.