[Samba] Win2K3 DNS losing Samba DNS entries?

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Mon Jan 28 20:24:52 GMT 2008

Hi there

We are having a problem where the DNS "A" records of ADS member Samba
servers are disappearing from DNS. It's not routine, but it is
definitely real. What we normally do is assign static IPs, create DNS
records manually and then install and configure the Samba server (mainly
CentOS4 and CentOS5) and "net ads join" it to the domain. This is
normally good for a week or so - but then suddenly the "A" record
disappears from DNS!

If we manually add other Linux or non-Windows servers to the domain, and
they don't run Samba - then this problem doesn't seem to occur - so it
smells like some "Samba-to-AD" problem to me...

Does this ring any bells? Would recompiling Samba with
"--with-dnsupdate" (which still seems to be disabled by default) enable
Samba to *continually* ensure its "A" record is kept intact?  Weirdly
enough, we find that if you go through this grief of disappearing "A"
records for a week or so (and adding it back in), then suddenly it seems
to all go right and the problem disappears for that particular server.
But then the next one you install goes through the same problem.

Any ideas appreciated.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417