[Samba] Mac Machines taking over Master Browser

JJB onephatcat at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 19:26:15 GMT 2008

For some reason the Macintosh machines on our LAN have started taking
over as master browser without actually providing. Mostly these are
Leopard machines, and one Tiger machine. We had OS Level set to 255 and
that does not seem to make a difference.

[2008/01/16 11:14:27, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:get_domain_master_name_node_status_fail(486)
get_domain_master_name_node_status_fail:
Doing a node status request to the domain master browser at IP
192.168.1.153 failed.
Cannot get workgroup name.

192.168.1.153 is an iMac running leopard. We are running a samba file
server that should be responding as our master browser and was until the
new machines came on the LAN.

 - Joel