[Samba] Retry: Mapping AD domain users to UNIX users

brandon hall brandonhall0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 02:30:12 GMT 2008

 About two months ago I actually tried setting up an enviornment in vmware
with samba plus using active directory RFC 2307 schema extensions to get
username information mapped properly between multiple nfs and samba servers.

I failed because I think documentation at that time using idmap_nss was
lacking. I found lots of winbind howtos and documentation, but very
little regarding what I wanted to do. I would definately use the latest
samba (3.0.25+), even though installing it on solaris is a nightmare, you'll
be better off in the long run.

Has anyone successfully done this? I got everything working including
kerberos and joining the domains, except for a proper smb.conf file.