[Samba] View Workgroup Computers is Slow to Come Up

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 17:33:54 GMT 2008

Rick Cone,Secure Payment Systems wrote:
> What would cause the "View Workgroup Computers" to be slow in coming up.
> It will take from 10 seconds to 1 minute.
>
> A am using Windows XP hosts with an SCO OpenServer using Samba in a
> workgroup, and Samba is the preferred master (os 255) with WINS support.   I
> have the Browser service turned off on all Windows clients.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick Cone
> Secure Payment Systems

Is winbind the first name resolution protocol for the server, or is it
trying to get host names from hosts/DNS/NIS/NIS+/LDAP first? You have to
fail down the chain until you get a positive name resolution, which
could involve recursive lookups and such.  Just a gut reaction to
browsing problems.  Also, I've had old hosts in my winbind cache that it
tries to find and cannot - but that was under the outside influence of
my own stupidity, I'm not sure that it can happen very well under normal
conditions.