[Samba] Windows server 2003 can't join SAMBA domain - solved

Marcin Giedz giedz at arise.pl
Thu Jan 24 08:32:31 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I sent post few days ago with question: why I can't add win2k3 to samba
domain? NO answer ;) But today we were able to add it. This is strange
but pure 2k3 throws message "The specified user already exist". This is
not the first time I saw this message so thought that maybe this has
something to do with machine account. But account in LDAP for this
server was the same like in any other example. The only difference was
that I never have added 2k3 to PDC only 100+ XPs.

Here is how my basic account for machine looks like:

dn: uid=test3$,ou=machines,dc=giedz,dc=pl
uid: test3$
uidNumber: 11003
objectClass: top
objectCLass: device
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: sambaSamAccount
sambaSID: S-1-5-21-1087407793-3782532767-1892621526-11003
gidNumber: 515
cn: test3$
homeDirectory: /dev/null
loginShell: /bin/false
gecos: test3$
userPassword: 111111

But for 2k3 was to "small". I simply had to add

sambaAcctFlags: [UW         ]

and after that I was able to join my Samba domain.

I hope this can help.

Regards,
Marcin