[Samba] need wins understanding

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Tue Jan 22 01:24:04 GMT 2008

Dominic Iadicicco escreveu:
> Cool.
>
> So the servers should not do anything bad to each other becasue they are
> both running wins? Is this correct? Also I can disable broadcasting on
> both servers as well.
> I don't have to but I can.
>

> Thanks again
>
> Dominic

(...)

They will not clash or fight with each other trying to be the "master
WINS" if thats what you are asking. :) The reasons that you should not
use more than one is exactly the contrary, both will ignore each other
and clients that register or use one to make a query will not use the
other, ending with only partial knowledge of the neighborhood. (but
seems that its what you want)

About trying to do more than that and disable the broadcast of the
servers, I simply never tried/needed to do anything like that. As I
never saw any reason to do so and as a security measure I don't see it
being all that usefull either.

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto